Monday, May 20, 2013

No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies


Tonight David and I had plans to go to our friends' house to help remove tree limbs that were covering their front yard from a storm that went through Peoria last night. We were also going to have dinner at their house, so I decided to bring some of my favorite cookies to share.

Usually I go to the grocery store anyway on Mondays to get food for the week, so I figured I could just pick up whatever I needed on my normal run. But, sadly, my car had other plans for me. I got in my car, put my key in to turn it on, and nothing happened. Not only would it not start, but my key was now stuck in the ignition, no matter what I tried to do to get it out. Thankfully I was still at our apartment, and not out running errands at the time, but my grocery run was cancelled until my husband could come home and fix whatever was broken. Can you tell I know a lot about cars?

As my plans for dessert went out the window, I scanned the pantry to see what I could throw together and decided on an old staple, No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies. Typically I would use quick cooking oats, but all I had was Old-Fashioned Oats and they worked great too.


You'll need cocoa, vanilla, milk, sugar, unsalted butter, old fashioned oats, peanut butter & salt.


Add 1/4 a cup of butter, 1 cup of sugar, and 1/4 cup of milk to a saucepan.


Next, add 2 tablespoons of cocoa and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.


Set stove-top to medium-high heat.


Stir ingredients and bring to a boil. Let boil for 1 minute and then remove from heat.



While the first 5 ingredients cook on the stove, measure out 1.5 cups of old fashioned oats.


Next, Measure out 1/4 cup of all natural peanut butter. 

Confession: At this point, I had my second "oops" of the day (after the car) and once again my sweet husband had to come to my rescue. I went to grab something out of the dishwasher, not realizing my camera cord was hanging off the counter. Needless to say, when I opened the dishwasher, my camera hit the floor and I may have shed a few tears over it. Mainly because we leave for Washington DC in 3 days and I was picturing me documenting our vacation with my iPhone. Thankfully, my resourceful husband saved me once again, and I'm happy to say the camera has been given new life.


After boiling for 1 minute, remove saucepan from heat. Add oats, peanut butter and 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract to the saucepan and mix until combined.


Use a spoon to drop the mixture onto cookie sheet lined with wax paper and then place cookie sheet in the refrigerator to chill until set.



Keep cookies in the refrigerator -- If they last that long!


No-Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies
Yields: 12-15 cookies, depending on size
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 t salt
  • 2 T cocoa
  • 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
  • 1.5 cups old fashioned oats
  • 1 T vanilla extract
In a saucepan, mix the first 5 ingredients together on medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Let boil for 1 minute before removing from heat. Next, add the oats, peanut butter and vanilla, and stir until combined. Cover a cookie sheet with wax paper and use a spoon to drop the mixture onto the pan. Chill until set, and then store in the refrigerator.

Check back tomorrow for one of my favorite summer side dishes!





No comments:

Post a Comment

nRelate