Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Redneck Caviar


This was one of everyone's favorites this weekend. It's great with tortilla chips or to eat as a cold side dish, and it is SO easy. I made my own dressing, but you could also just use a bottle of italian dressing. This is a great dish to bring to share because it's quick and easy to make a large amount.



In a large colander, rinse 2 cans of black eyed peas, 2 cans of black beans & 2 cans of white corn.


Add the rinsed beans & corn to a large mixing bowl.


Chop 6 roma tomatoes.


Add your tomatoes to the bowl and mix well.


For the dressing, add 2T of italian dressing mix, 2/3 cup of olive oil & 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar to a jar or bowl and mix well.

Usually I use red wine vinegar for my italian dressing but I was out so I used apple cider vinegar instead. I have to say that I liked it even better so I'll be making it this way from now on!


Pour the dressing over the ingredients in your mixing bowl and mix well.


It was around this time that I realized I'd forgotten to add the onion and green pepper. Oops.

Chop 1/2 of an onion and 1 green bell pepper.


Mix well. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge.


Redneck Caviar
Yield: Approximately 18-20 servings
  • 2 cans of black eyed peas, rinsed
  • 2 cans of black beans, rinsed
  • 2 cans of white corn, rinsed
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 6 roma tomatoes, chopped
  • 1/2 of an onion, chopped
  • 2 T italian dressing mix
  • 2/3 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar 

Add first 6 ingredients to a large mixing bowl. In a small bowl or jar, combine italian dressing mix, olive oil & apple cider vinegar and mix well to make your dressing. Pour the dressing over the ingredients in the mixing bowl and mix well. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge.


No comments:

Post a Comment

nRelate