Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Whole Wheat English Muffins


Days seem to be flying by lately and it's hard to believe that summer is coming to a close. And even after being out of school for 4 years, it still feels strange not to be in Auburn this time of year. It's hard to believe that I've been out of college for the same amount of time I spent there. Those days went by far too quickly. I think Fall is when David & I miss Auburn the most, because some of our fondest memories happened during that time. The craziness of rush, tailgating & football games with friends, rolling Toomer's Corner, Fall formals & date parties, etc. There's just something uniquely special about Auburn that you can't fully grasp without being a student there. I'll always be thankful for the life-long friends and amazing husband that I met during my time there.

Speaking of my sweet husband, he asked if I could pick up some english muffins for him at the store this week for breakfast. We've made a huge effort over the last year to switch to a more "real food" mindset, cutting out as much processed foods as we can. I'd say we live by the 80/20 rule, with 80% of what we eat being healthy, clean, whole natural foods & allow ourselves to indulge about 20% of the time. The 20% typically happens when we eat 1 lunch & 1 dinner out on the weekends. I have to say that since we've made this change, we both feel SO much better and are much healthier overall. I also just don't keep things in the house that we can't resist. I have a hard time resisting sweets & soda, so I don't keep them in the house. Back to the english muffins...the ones at the store had way too many ingredients to fit into our "real food" rule so I decided to make them myself.


They turned out great. They are a little more dense than store-bought english muffins, so they don't have much of the traditional nook and cranny appearance once you cut them but I think they taste better. You use a 50/50 ratio for the flours in this recipe, but I'm interested to see how much the result would change if I increased the whole wheat flour.


Prepare your dough and then turn it out onto a floured surface. Use a rolling pin to roll it out to about 1-inch thickness.


When I'm making biscuits, I usually just use the top of a glass to cut the dough. I did the same with this recipe. But you can also use a biscuit cutter if you have one.


Use the top of a glass or biscuit cutter to cut your english muffins. 


Remove your cut muffins and re-roll dough as needed until all of your dough has been used.


Spray a baking sheet & sprinkle with cornmeal, then place your muffins on the pan. Cover the baking sheet with a towel and let the dough rise for 20 minutes.


After the dough has risen for 20 minutes, preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Use a non-stick skillet on low heat to cook the muffins for 4-5 minutes on each side, until crispy brown. Then place them back on the baking sheet.


Finish cooking the muffins in the oven for 12-15 minutes.


Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.


Store in an air-tight container. They are great warmed up in the toaster. David loves topping his with scrambled eggs, but I prefer some kind of fruit preserves!


Whole Wheat English Muffins
Yield: 1 dozen muffins
  • 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour, sifted (I love King Arthur's White Whole Wheat)
  • 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour, sifted
  • 1 1/4 t salt
  • 1 T sugar
  • 1 t baking soda
  • 2 t rapid rise yeast
  • 1 3/4 cups milk
  • 3 T unsalted butter
  • 1 large egg
  • Cornmeal for dusting

Whisk together the flours, sugar, salt, baking soda & yeast. Set aside. In a small saucepan, heat the milk and butter over medium heat until the butter has just melted. In a stand mixer with the dough attachment, combine the milk, butter & egg with the dry ingredients and mix until the dough comes together. Allow to mix on medium speed for an additional minute.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough to 1-inch thickness. Use the top of a glass or biscuit cutter to cut your muffins, re-rolling the dough as needed. Place the muffins on a greased baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover the baking sheet with a towel and let rise for 20 minutes.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. After dough has risen, use a non-stick skillet on low heat to cook the muffins for 4-5 minutes on each side, until crispy brown. Then place them back on the baking sheet. Finish cooking the muffins in the oven for 12-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

nRelate