Saturday, September 21, 2013

Apple Bundt Cake with Cider Glaze


We are currently in Nashville for the next 10 days, but before we left town I wanted to make something to take to my family but also use up the rest of the apples & cider I had bought earlier in the week. I had an idea to do some kind of apple cake, and after looking at several different recipes I ended up coming up with my own. I love how it turned out!


It's funny because we had actually been talking at Bible Study earlier that day about what we all like to do if we have any free time. There's several things I could think of, but baking probably tops the list most of the time. It also seems to be very therapeutic and stress-relieving for me. So if you find me in the kitchen in the middle of the night baking (which is known to happen occasionally), you know I've got something on my mind.


Once the batter is mixed up, pour it into a greased bundt pan. I love using this 6-cup Bundt pan from Target when I don't want to make a huge cake.


Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Look at all those chunks of apples!


Let the cake cool for 10 minutes in the pan, and then invert it onto a plate. Set a plate, face down, on top of the cake in the pan. Flip it over so the plate is now on the bottom and the cake falls out of the pan. 


Once the cake had cooled, I placed a cooling rack between the cake and the plate so the glaze would be able to drain off the sides.


Pour the prepared glaze over the cake. I like to use my salad dressing bottle for this because I have more control over how much comes out at once. 


Leave the cake on the cooling rack until glaze has hardened.


Enjoy!


Apple Bundt Cake with Cider Glaze
  • 3 cups self rising flour, sifted
  • 1 t baking soda
  • 1 t salt
  • 1 t cinnamon
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup coconut oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup apple cider
  • 2 large apples, diced (I used honey crisp)
      Cider Glaze:
  • 1 cup apple cider 
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine the sifted flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon & sugar. In a separate bowl, combine the coconut oil, eggs & apple cider. Slowly mix in the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients in the large bowl. Once they are combined, fold in the diced apples. The batter will be very thick. Pour (or spoon) the batter into a greased bundt pan and bake for 45-50 minutes (or until toothpick comes out clean).

Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes before inverting it onto a plate. While the cake cools, prepare the glaze. Pour the apple cider into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook over medium heat for about 10-15 minutes, or until the cider reduces to about 1/2 a cup. Once the cider has reduced, stir in the powdered sugar and then remove from heat. Stir in the melted butter. Let the glaze cool until it starts to thicken. Place a cooling rack between the cake & plate, and then pour the glaze over the cake. 

Leave the cake on the cooling rack until the glaze has hardened.


No comments:

Post a Comment

nRelate